Do backpacks count as carry on? Yes, the backpacks count as carry-on luggage. According to Delta Flyers, “A backpack can fit beneath the seat in front of you.” Carry-on bags can be up to 22 x 14 x 9 inches, so if your backpack is more significant than that, it’s probably not going in the overhead compartment.
The front of the bag will not fit under the seat, but if your larger hunting or hiking backpacks meet your airline’s requirements and work in the overhead bins, you should be fine.
However, if it doesn’t satisfy any of the conditions listed below, it’ll have to be carried on as luggage.
We’ve got all the answers to your questions about whether backpacks are allowed as carry-ons.
Sizes of Carry on Luggage in Different Airlines
This section will explain how to comply with each airline’s restrictions on carry-on luggage.
American Airlines Carry-on Size
- The dimensions include 56 x 36 x 23 cm, which is the same as the American Airlines (AA) cabin.
- One carry-on bag and one personal item are permitted free of charge by American Airlines (AA).
- The maximum dimensions and weight allowed are 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches (56 x 36 x 23 cm), with handles and wheels not included.
Delta Airlines Carry On Size
Bags must not weigh more than 62 inches when adding up the airline’s length, width, and height—approved Personal Items.
If you’re flying with a lot of luggage, seek a thing that’s the same or similar size to your seat in front of you and store it beneath the seat in front of you during your journey.
- one purse, briefcase, small backpack, camera bag, or diaper bag
- one laptop bag (computers cannot be checked unless directed to by security)
- 1 item of similar or smaller size to those listed
Southwest Airline Carry On Size
- The dimensions are limited to -10 x 16 x 24 inches.
- The overhead bin is where you must put your carry-on.
- Wheels facing out helps us get the wheels up faster!
- If you’re bringing a pet, carriers are classified either as a personal item or a carry-on based on whether they fit in your arms.
- Items included handbags, briefcases, cameras, food containers, or laptops (case not provided).
- Your item must fit within the dimensions of 18.5 x 8.5 x 13.5 inches and should be stored under the seat in front of you.
United Airlines Carry On Size
- It should fit in the overhead bin.
- The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 centimetres x 35 centimetres x 56 centimetres).
- This includes handles and wheels.
- It should fit underneath the seat in front of you.
- The maximum dimensions for your item are 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 centimetres x 25 centimetres x 43 centimetres).
Jet Blue Carry On Size
Including wheels and handles, carry-on bags must not exceed 22″ L (55.88 cm) x 14″ W (35.56 cm) x 9″ H (22.86 cm).
Personal items must not exceed
Do Backpacks Count as a Personal Item?
Yes, a backpack can be considered a personal item based on its size. We have given the dimensions above for your convenience.
If you’re carrying a backpack as a personal item, you must follow the airline’s restrictions. Individual items are essential backpacks that are smaller, compact, and fit within reasonable dimensions.
Under the seat or in the overhead bin, you may carry a personal item. Backpacks with dimensions of more than 14 inches can fit in the overhead compartment, although you may contain a smaller one under the seat ahead of you and cram a giant bag into the baggage hold above.
What is the Difference Between Carry on and Checked-in Luggage?
There are several benefits to travelling with a carry-on bag rather than a check-in one. The most obvious of these is that your belongings will not vanish from your sight. You don’t run the danger of losing your luggage if you have it under control. This is typically where most bags get misplaced.
The second significant advantage is time. A carry-on is convenient if you love checking in fast and avoiding all the stickers, tickets, and people griping about wait times.
You won’t have to wait for what feels like hours at the huge metal carousels for your luggage to be unloaded. Also, buying a backpack with a trolley sleeve will make putting your bag on your luggage and rolling both of them around the airport considerably easier.
What’s the Maximum Carry On Size?
When it comes to size, all airlines have slightly different limits. The best way to think about it is whether the bag will fit under your seat. If you’re fine with a 45-litre backpack, that’s the maximum permitted carry-on luggage volume. Carry On Luggage Maximum Weight
A general guideline. Within the United States, size restrictions are more concerned with proportions than weight.
You should bear in mind that a load of 50 pounds is a significant weight. You don’t want to injure yourself before your trip and ruin your holiday or vacation itinerary. You must also remember that this backpack or bag must be lifted overhead and into the luggage racks on planes.
If you’re going to another country and want to know whether your backpack counts as a carry-on, double-check the following airlines and cities’ rules.
Weight limits to carry-on baggage apply in the following locations.
- Singapore, Singapore – You may bring on board no more than 15 pounds (7 kg) in your carry-on luggage.
- Beijing, China – The Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) in Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) restricts hand-carry bags to no more than 10 kg. For international flights, each airline has its own set of rules.
- Shanghai, China – Carry-on luggage should not weigh more than 22 pounds (10 kg) at Pudong International Airport (PVG).
Can I take two backpacks as a carry-on?
Yes, you may carry two backpacks onto a plane. One of the backpacks will be carried as carry-on luggage in the overhead bin and the other backpack will be placed underneath the seat in front of you as a personal item.
What size backpack is allowed on a plane?
A good rule of thumb is to use a 45-litre backpack. Before travelling, check the size requirements for carry-on and personal items on each airline’s website to ensure that you’re complying with their requirements. Airlines allow up to 62 linear inches. To get the total number of linear inches, add width plus feet plus length.
Is a personal item the same as a carry-on?
A personal item is considered distinct from a carry-on item by airlines. A personal item can be placed in the seat in front of you, while a carry on may be placed in the overhead bin. A purse or a backpack are examples of personal items, whereas a duffel bag, tiny luggage, or larger backpack are all common terms
What size backpack is considered a personal item?
Carry-on items must meet Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) standards and cannot be larger than 22′x14′x9′.
Can I bring a duffel bag and a backpack as a carry-on?
You can carry the duffel bag as a carry-on, and the backpack as a personal item. Simply check with your airline to see if there are size restrictions for carryons and personal items.
Which One Is Better as a Carry-On: A Backpack, A Suitcase, or a Duffel bag?
Backpack users praise the 45-litre version for providing plenty of packing space without requiring you to check a bag. If you enjoy having many pockets and compartments, several backpacks have these so that you may keep everything in one small area, including laptops.
Suitcases are more popular with people who need to go on business trips since it’s easier to pack formal wear without worrying that it will get wrinkled or crumpled. As a result, they are frequently the first choice of those going on single-destination excursions. They’re also sturdier and easier to wheel about than lugging
Backpacks are the most popular travel luggage, with duffel bags being roomier than suitcases. They also have wider openings than backpacks and side openings that make packing easier. Duffels are frequently constructed of robust, water-resistant material that can come in handy in a variety of situations.
At the end of the day, it’s up to you. To assist you to decide what sort of bag to take as your carry-on, consider the following questions:
- What will be your mode of transportation during the trip? If you’re renting a vehicle, a suitcase is suitable, but if you’re travelling by public transportation, a duffel bag or backpack would be preferable.
- Will you be walking on paved or dirt roads?IIf the sidewalks are smooth, you can carry a suitcase; but if they’re rocky, you should use a backpack or duffel bag instead.
- Will you only be staying in one place or moving around a lot? Suitcases are ideal for people who will be staying in one place for a short time, but if you’ll be travelling frequently between cities, it’s preferable to transport something that you can quickly pick up and carry like backpacks and duffel bags.
- Is safety a concern? Some backpacks and duffel bags can be locked with a lock and key, but it won’t guarantee protection if your bag is cut. It’s much better to bring a suitcase in that situation.
- Do you have any personal or physical considerations? If you have back issues, a suitcase is probably the best option because carrying a backpack or duffel bag for an extended period of time might make your condition worse.
Best Carry-on Sized Backpacks
Do you love the idea of bringing a backpack as a carry-on? Here are some travel backpacks that you can take with you on your next journey:
The Dinictis Carry-On Backpack has a side opening that makes packing quicker and easier. The fabric is scratch-resistant, water repellent, and resistant to wear and tear. It’s simple to keep organized with its front and side pockets, which include a protective foam pad that can hold a laptop. Individual compartments are also included
The chest strap reduces shoulder strain, making it a lot more pleasant to carry. It features thickened, foamed back straps, a top handle, and a side handle for easy transportation. It’s also simple to store under the seat or in the luggage compartment overhead due to its small size.
Dimensions: 19.6 x 13.8 x 9.8 inches
No2: WITZMAN Canvas Travel Backpack
This travel backpack is made of high-quality canvas with leather and polyester lining, giving it a more classic, rustic appearance. You can easily convert this from a backpack into a duffel bag, crossbody bag, and shoulder bag thanks to its flexible straps that may be hidden or adjusted.
The WITZMAN Travel Backpack has several compartments. A primary compartment may contain the majority of your belongings, including a cushioned laptop compartment, and a bottom compartment where you can store your shoes. Your toiletries, device chargers, connectors, and other smaller items may be stored in front pockets. Side pockets enable you to keep an umbrella.
Dimensions: 22 x 13 x 7 inches
Read more: How to Wash A Canvas Backpack?
No3: KAKA Travel Backpack
The KAKA Travel backpack is a waterproof anti-theft travel backpack made of durable terylene oxford fabric. It’s water-resistant, scratch-resistant, and comes with decompression foam for comfortable carrying. It can quickly convert from a backpack to a shoulder bag or duffel bag.
There are ten compartments in this backpack, including a main zipped pocket for your belongings, three front zipped pockets, one side mesh pocket, and two tiny strap pockets. The last three compartments may hold your laptop, iPad/tablet, and other items thanks to the large front zip pocket.
Dimensions: 20.5 x 11.8 x 7.9 inches
We Hope now will got the answer of you question do backpacks count as carry-on? Backpacks and carry-on luggage may be useful while travelling. They’re simple to pack and use, especially if you enjoy compartments and want to organize your things in different ways. Clothes, everyday effects, gadgets, and more may all be fit into their ample compartments. Plus, they’re light and easy to grab on your way out
You’ll have an easier time travelling with a backpack as a carry-on, and it might even save you money because you can bring fewer goods on your carry-on rather than check-in luggage for shorter excursions.